Fall is in the air and we are excited to get rolling again! You may have seen or heard about SPARQ’s latest creative magic – Manhole Art! The first design featured none other than the Power “P”. This project is just the beginning.
Earlier in the year at our SPARQ event many of you told us your hopes and dreams for South Pittsburg. We listened and are working hard to develop plans for projects both big and small. The SPARQ team has also taken the opportunity to apply and receive a number of grant opportunities. With this kind of work, it is so important that we keep hearing from you and receiving your support in any way that you can help.
Here is a recap of our SPARKLE event back in February…
- A community buzz of enthusiasm
- 40+ New Volunteers signed up to work on various projects
- $839 Raised in Donations for SPARQ projects
- Survey Results – “What do you want to see happen in So. Pittsburg?”
- Youth – a safe place for our youth to be play, learn, work and grow
- Community – enhance and create community space for us to enjoy indoor and outdoor activities
- Downtown – revitalize our downtown appearance, restore our buildings and bring in new businesses, giving us more places to shop, work and enjoy
- River – Make the river a place for community activity and maximize the outdoor recreational opportunities that a river gives a community
We also asked for your thoughts in a community survey about recreation, arts & culture, and general wishes for our town’s improvement. We had over 150 responses, giving us some incredible insight and guidance. Thank you for your help!
What’s happening next month?
ART+OCTOBER = ARTober – We are adding color and livening up downtown by celebrating art and community. Using the power of art, we will highlight local artists, draw attention to our local businesses, and make the ordinary extraordinary! We look for this to be an annual event with more fun activities each year including food & drink events, concerts and more
- In celebrating ARTober, we are planning a “Window Take-over”. We are taking over the windows of downtown South Pittsburg from the businesses to empty buildings! We plan to dress them up by featuring both local and youth artists. We will turn Cedar Ave. into our own Walking Art Gallery.
If you are an artist or know an artist who would like to exhibit, click here to learn more and sign up. Deadline is 9/28.
- Learn about all the artist through our “Artist Spotlight” on sparqsp.org or the SPARQ Facebook page starting in October.
- More Manhole Art to come! Keep your eyes peeled for pops of color around downtown as we add new pieces to the project.
Next month…lots to share about grant opportunities and other fun and creative initiatives by SPARQ.
If you would like to volunteer for anything coming up in October, please click here to let us know how you can you help. Donations are always welcome!
Let’s get sparq’n!